Pages

MORNINGS START SOFTLY


No matter what time I wake in the morning, I take a moment to be grateful. Grateful for all family, friends and also for the new day. A new day that will be filled with endless possibilities. I have learned as I have gotten older that those first few moments upon arising can make all of the difference in the rest of your day. I crack open the window near my bed and listen for sounds, the wind blowing, the birds beginning their morning songs, all of the sounds of a new day. After I swing my legs down, I stretch and then pull on some clothes and head out the door to a beautiful new day.  I take a deep breath, fresh air, cool, warm, doesn't matter. I begin my walk through my gardens so that I don't miss the appearance of a new blossom. The Morning Glories are the first to greet me, they are waking as I stand there watching the wonder of nature. The breeze moves through the grasses waking them up also. The haze over the pond begins to fall back into the water as the sun warms it. As I walk out onto the pier I can see the Swallows diving and catching their early morning breakfast of bugs. The fish are at the top of the pond waiting for their breakfast to fly or float by. Mom and Dad Canada Geese are going for their morning swim with their babies. There's dew on all of the leaves cooling them and getting them ready for a long day of warm sun. The roosters are announcing the morning to all. The chickens are having their morning conversations and waiting by the coop door so that they too can come outside and start their day. The sheep and llamas all have sleepy eyes and wait patiently by their feeding area for me to bring in scoops of corn, feed and oats. When they see me they start to announce my arrival to those that may have spent the night outside in the field under the light of last night's full moon. I stay and watch them begin their day, mommies licking their babies and encouraging them to get up and eat some hay or nibble on some oats. Some of the animals wait for the rush to be over and just stay still in their warm spot from their nights rest. I tell all to have a good day, close the gates and begin my walk back to the house. I pick a flower to put in a vase so that I can enjoy its beauty and fragrance inside as well. It's a new day, new things to be grateful for.....start your day softly.








Come Along On Our Journey to Become as Self-Sufficient as Possible

COME ALONG ON OUR JOURNEY TO BECOME AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE....

  My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago and the suburbs of Chicago.  We loved all of the wonderful museums, stores, restaura...