Pages

MA MA KITTIE...THE PROTECTOR & PAL OF OUR FLOCK








Ma Ma Kittie as she became known,  is a barn cat.  One of many born on our farm.

I first met Ma Ma Kittie as I walked through the foyer of our home one day.  I thought that I had  caught a glimpse of a gray striped cat sitting on the brick walk up to our porch.   As I backed up to look again, there was nothing.  We have a beveled glass door, so I thought maybe it just looked like a cat or something.  But, when I went out to feed our sheep and chickens the next morning, there she was, just strolling around.

Of course being who we are, we bought cat food and began feeding her.  Well, long story short, she had kittens.  We bought more cat food.  On and on until we had quite a few cats.  Some would stay, some would move on to places unknown.

In November of this year, we put our farm on the market to sell and as fate would have it, we had several offers in a few days  So, we were moving.  We have a tremendous amount of stuff and quite a few sheep, llamas, chickens and peacocks to move.   It was a crazy fast and intense big move.  It took us a semi container, a few hired haulers to move big equipment and many large enclosed trailer rides to our new home in UP Michigan.

Our last trip was the animal hauler.  My husband built an upper layer for the chickens and the peacocks. The sheep and llamas were in the lower area of the hauler.  I made my husband take the long way (2 lane all the way) as our hauler is not exactly new and I wanted to make sure that our most precious cargo made it up to their new home safe and sound.

We felt really bad about leaving the barn cats.  We tried to find homes but they were impossible to catch, and we really didn't have time.  So, we left a large supply of food and the new owner said that he would take care of them...he's a real animal lover also.

Finally after 9 hours of driving, we pulled  into the yard of our new home, a log cabin from the 1800's.  Giant sigh of relief.   The snow started softly falling as we sat in the truck just taking it all in.  Just like the vision I had of our new life.  I saw us driving into our place with our last load and then it would start snowing.  It waited for us to be safely off of the road and at our new place.

 All of the animals had to stay in the hauler for the night.  We did not think that it would be a good idea to let them out into their new unfamiliar fenced in fields in the dark.  So, we said goodnight and fell into bed, sleeping peacefully knowing that we did not have to turn right around the next morning and pick up another load.  We were done...moved.

It was music to my ears hearing our roosters announcing the new day the next morning.  I had really missed that morning alarm traveling back and forth.  I threw on some clothes and went out to check on everyone.  They were happy to get some water and feed. While I was throwing feed up to the chickens and peacocks, I thought I could hear a cat meowing.  But chickens make all kinds of sounds so I didn't think much about it.

   Later in the day, we manipulated the hauler into the pasture, creating quite a muddy mess.  Once in place, we opened the doors and the sheep and llamas jumped out.    They ran around and inspected every inch of their new pasture and barn.   They were all born on our farm, the only home they had ever know and now they were getting acquainted with their 2nd home.

Our winter plan for the chickens and peacocks was to enclose the animal hauler with kennel panels so that they could roost in the protection of the hauler and jump out onto the ground for some fresh air and exercise and whatever they could forage for in this protected area.  Once we get through winter into better weather, we will build a new coop and a chicken garden/exercise area.  It took them awhile to figure out the new set up, but like the sheep, all it takes is one to explore and the rest will follow.

When I was in the hauler looking around to make sure we didn't have any casualties after the long stressful ride, I noticed a gray striped cat.  She was nestled in the hay, way up in the front of the hauler in the upper level.  Could this be one of our barn cats....Ma Ma Kittie  specifically.  I couldn't believe it...one of our barn cats decided to make the move with us...and her chickens.  I was ecstatic...you become very attached to your barn cats, even though you don't really get to hold them. I even cried a little bit, I had felt so bad driving away from our barn and all of our cats.  Having her with us meant a lot to me.  We had to find a separate, protected area to feed her as all of the chickens and peacocks definitely love cat food.

We've been here for 2 weeks now and Ma Ma sleeps and eats with the chickens. She is able to get out because we have seen her on our front stairs at night.  But, she stays with her pals.

One night when we let the dogs out we could hear some chicken commotion in the hauler.  I walked over there with a flashlight hoping to not find a predator in with the chickens.  I was pleased and amused to find Ma Ma  trying to settle between two hens in the deep hay.  The two old girls were a bit perturbed because they had to move out of their warm little nests to make room for Ma Ma.  But, they did and all was well.

I sleep soundly knowing that our llama watches over our sheep by day and night and that our Mama Kittie watches over our (her) chickens and peacocks.

When I go out and check in the evening, I wish them all a good night and remind our llama Ember and Ma Ma Kittie that they are on duty.  Protect yourselves and your herd/flock.




Come Along On Our Journey to Become as Self-Sufficient as Possible

COME ALONG ON OUR JOURNEY TO BECOME AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE....

  My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago and the suburbs of Chicago.  We loved all of the wonderful museums, stores, restaura...