Pages

HANG IN THERE...



Every morning I look out our window and see this lone apple still hanging in there.  It is my reminder that when need be, I can hang in there too!

Let me start by saying the my husband and I have finally retired from working for others.  It is winter.   We sold our very comfortable, large 'finished' home in WI  (after only being listed for several days) and have moved to an 1800's rough, small log cabin in the UP Michigan.  It was our dream but now that it's a reality...it feels like a good reality somedays and a 'what the heck did we do?" reality on other days.  
  Keep reading....it gets better....😜 I promise!!!!

We have always been hard workers, most of the time working much more than a 40 hr. week.  We have built/remodeled/operated everything from a Restaurant/Bakery/Catering business, several B & B's, an Antique Shoppe, a Flea Market built and operated Storage Units and still own rentals (apartments) just to name a few.  In addition, both of us usually worked full time outside of these businesses.   I've always worked in the Human Resource area, Social Services and Nursing.  My husband has been a contractor for over 40 years and all of the time had several projects (for others) going on in addition to our own projects.  We have purchased, remodeled and sold (turned) many homes also...loving each one of them, living in them while we remodeled and then went on to sell them to others.

So, fast forward...here we are in a small old log cabin, recently retired, trying to adapt to our new life each day.  We feel kind of guilty if we don't work on a project every day, but we also feel entitled to take some time off - because we are finally in a retirement mode.  This definitely will take some adjustment.  Also, we are not accustomed to being together for so many hours per day.  This also will take some adjustment.  

The whole moving fiasco kept us busy which we were used to, but now that the dust has semi settled...we are at a bit of a loss.  Not that there isn't everything to do with this old log cabin (was used as a 'camp' for many years and when I say something is really rough - believe me, it is.  We figured out that we have restored 24 homes/buildings during our marriage - living in a sectioned off part of the house/building so that we could both live in and renovate at the same time. 

So, after a week or so of just kind of starring out the windows and wandering around the small cabin - we jump headlong into our new life.  We are really transitioning into the things that we've talked about our whole lives.  My husband used to make furniture and then large restoration/renovations took over for 90% of his career for which we are eternally grateful.   We are setting up a shop for him bit by bit as we are also having to set up plumbing, electrical and everything else to be able to function. As I said, this log cabin was a crude' hunting camp" with a cook stove for heat and absolutely no other conveniences.  I felt quite accomplished the other day setting up my little corner with my sewing machine, Cricut, and other machines that I've had and have not really had the chance to use (embroidery machine, spinning wheel, on & on). I lined the walls in front of me and next to me with my photography, favorite books and some of my collectibles.   We ordered internet and cable and so much as we thought we wouldn't miss that, we did.  So, I was able to set up my computer/printer.  After searching around in the semi container that we had brought up to this property that contained a lot of our 'stuff', I found some of my bins of unfinished craft items.  So, in our new (old) corner of the world a bit of normalcy was taking place and it felt good. 

We also have many animals...trailered them all up here and had to build their accommodations quickly.  Fencing, water, shelter. We have a herd of sheep, a llama, many peacocks and a lot of chickens. We also have three dogs - one of them a new rescue, an African Grey Parrot and a Parakeet.  We got everyone set up well enough to make it to spring when we will be able to make more permanent improvements.  

There are days when I'm sure my husband thinks, "what did we do" (when I can hear him through the floor, in the basement, trying to set up a water filter) and I just say it out loud, usually more like 'what the hell did we do'.   On sunny days all seems right, on gray days, the doubts come to the surface.  We've never been in the house so much, much less a small one, and we've honestly never spent this much time together out in the middle of thousands of acres of state land.  We purchased 40 acres with this log cabin.  

As I write, it is early Sunday morning and the sun is just coming up...it's beautiful. Kind of a pinkish hue behind the many birch and pine trees on this property.  My three dogs are all cuddled up around my feet and my hubby is sound asleep...not really having to jump out of bed to call employees and get to a job by 8 a.m.  So, our decision seems so right, at the moment.  Later when I have to use the top of a garbage can to balance my cutting board on to cut up vegetables to go into the Foodie...I may not be as mellow.  Slowly we are getting set up..I am learning to have more patience every day.  I'm trying to think of all of this as an adventure that not everyone would or could experience.  Just think of the stories that we will have...

I walk over to the window and look out at the lone apple still on the branch...thank goodness it's still hanging in there...it was rather windy last night, could have just let go and fallen into the snow.  So, I'll hang in there too! (I already, actually did fall into the snow the other day...but thank goodness for my new wardrobe, Elmer Fudd fur hat, what I call 'farmer coveralls'  choice of navy or brown at the local farm store ( I chose brown) giant jacket and huge mittens, I was not hurt, just had a hard time getting back up (these clothes are heavy and do not bend).

It's another day that we get to spend as we choose.  I find myself choosing to do things I enjoy, reading, listening to music, writing, working on crafts, playing with our animals, really talking to my husband (not just going over jobs, the mail,  and to do lists) and of course always tossing around ideas for our log cabin home.

Spring will be here soon enough...we'll just hang in there this winter.  Winter really is a time for rest (both body and mind), reflection (where we've been, what we've accomplished, accepting the past as just that) and rejuvenation (what next, what is important and what things do we still want to accomplish in this life) and....

  for the first time in my life, I think I can finally relax, clear my busy head
and really try to understand that....you just really need to hang in there....tomorrow is another day.            

Come Along On Our Journey to Become as Self-Sufficient as Possible

COME ALONG ON OUR JOURNEY TO BECOME AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE....

  My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago and the suburbs of Chicago.  We loved all of the wonderful museums, stores, restaura...