Pages

PUTTING THE BARN TO BED

Kind of late getting out to the barn tonight. Have to close the door to the chicken coop and just generally look around and of course say "Goodnight" to everyone. Did not get out to feed today - so I also gave them a late night snack - have been busy bottle feeding a lamb that was born this morning and not being accepted by his mom (mom is young, she'll do better next time). The chickens were all roosted in their coop, the peacocks/hens and babies were all roosted up in the top of the barn. The sheep and llama's wanted a snack and a pat goodnight. Found one brown egg in the can of feed. One of the 'girls' lays one everyday - in the feed can. Sometimes if we come out too early, she's still in there and looks kind of crabby when we get too close. The donkey's were lying down in all of the hay they knocked down, they looked up and yawned when I turned on the light. Started talking about increasing the size of our flock - possibly bring in some exotics - they are always fun to raise - and also some Buff's which are good layers and pretty easy going - anyway, we're going to pick out a few different breeds and have a fun colorful bunch running around this summer. I think I talked my husband into lining the inside of the chicken coop with plywood so that I can paint it and hang better nest boxes - make it look really cute - stay tuned. Annie (English Golden Retriever that is on a diet - not by her own choice) has lost 1.5 lbs. so far - I think that I am beginning to see a waistline - well, at least she does not look as much like a large & lovely barrel as she did before.

Come Along On Our Journey to Become as Self-Sufficient as Possible

COME ALONG ON OUR JOURNEY TO BECOME AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE....

  My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago and the suburbs of Chicago.  We loved all of the wonderful museums, stores, restaura...