Pages

HOW OUR FIRST WINTER IN THE UP IS GOING SO FAR....


 It has been snowing about every other day.  Sometimes only flurries and sometimes an inch or two of accumulation.   We've tried to keep up with the plowing of our driveway, shoveling and salting our deck and our paths to be able to get out to our animals.  The snow is really beautiful.  We love watching it fall during the day light hours, but when it snows at night, we turn on an outdoor light, just to watch it softly falling.  We can't help but go outside for a while to catch a few snowflakes on our gloves, admire their pattern and just listen to the sound/no sound that it makes when it falls from above. I love to shine my flashlight up into the air and follow one snowflake all of the way down.  When it lands, I think to myself, this was your whole life and purpose.  I hope it was a fun journey.     





My husband and I are very different in our approach to many things.   We feel that makes for a good balance in our relationship.  I am always thinking about 'what could happen' - and try to get everything ready 'just in case'. My husband kind of flies by the seat of his pants - what happens, happens, we'll deal with it when it happens. I told him that for my peace of mind, I feel that we need to be more prepared living out here alone, we're older and we don't have any services that close to us and our family lives hours away.  He teases me when I am picking up candles, batteries, matches, flashlights, etc. at the store.   They have come in handy a few times, and I try (?) not to remind him whose idea it was to pick these items up and keep a supply of them on hand.  I am learning each day to be as prepared as possible - and then let it go or you will possibly miss some of the beauty of living out here in the Northwoods in your anxiety of worrying about the 'what ifs'.  

Kind of like the birds that visit our feeders each day.  They don't seem to mind the snow.  They have to eat everyday no matter what time of year or what the weather might be that day.  

When the sun goes down, the birds have to think about finding a protected area to keep dry and out of the wind for the night.  At first light they need to think about a food source. I wonder if they are storing food somewhere for those days when it's much harder to find anything to eat.  I know squirrels do that, but I wonder if birds do that also.  Some birds land, grab a seed and fly away.  And then keep doing that over and over.  Other birds, land, grab a seed and eat it right there.  In my writer's mind, I picture that all wildlife has a protected cubby to go to each day/night.  Where they store their food, and are protected from the sun, wind, snow & rain.  And that they feel safe and warm there.  I like to think of them having fun just flying around, but I think their whole day is really about surviving.  And, in the spring, there is the added responsibility of taking care of their eggs and then feeding their new babies.  

 Like all of our bird and squirrel friends, Live for today, learn from yesterday and look forward to tomorrow. But, be prepared....just in case...  





Come Along On Our Journey to Become as Self-Sufficient as Possible

COME ALONG ON OUR JOURNEY TO BECOME AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE....

  My husband and I were both born and raised in Chicago and the suburbs of Chicago.  We loved all of the wonderful museums, stores, restaura...